The Barn vegetable chilli
Packed full of flavour, this Barn favourite is great served with toasted herb oil bread
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
3 cloves of garlic finely sliced
2 large red onions, 1 diced, 1 sliced
1 orange peppers diced
1 green peppers diced
1 large courgette large diced
6 asparagus spears, chargrilled and roughly chopped
200g drained and rinsed kidney beans
8 cubes of dark chocolate
250ml of good veg stock
1kg of chopped tomatoes
1tsp chilli powder
2tsp dried coriander
2tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper
- Placing a medium sauce-pan over a moderate/high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once hot, add the garlic and onions.
- After a couple of minutes add the orange and green peppers with the courgettes.
- Let this cook for 4-5 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes, veg stock, chilli powder, coriander and paprika.
- Turn down heat and let simmer for 5 minutes then add the kidney beans, char grilled asparagus and dark chocolate.
- Simmer for another 3 minutes and then season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- This is best made the night before and then reheated gently in sauce-pan when desired the next day.
- Serve classic way with rice and sour cream, or Wilderness Wood style with toasted herb and cheese bread for dipping.